- This station was established in 1962 as “Lake Development Centre" which was changed the name as Fisheries Development Center in late 1960s.
- In 1975 an “Integrated Fishery and Fish Culture Development Project (NEP/73/25)" was implemented under FAO/UNDP cooperation.
- Later recognized as “Agriculture Research Station (Fisheries), Pokhara in 1993 under Nepal Agricultural Research Council (NARC). Currently from 2071/72 named as “Fishery Research Station, Pokhara.
- Functioning as “Lake Fisheries Research Station” for aquatic and fisheries resources conservation and proper utilization.
- Facilitated in expansion of cage fish culture and open water fisheries management in Nepal.
- Technical/resource support and services to pond/cage/raceway aquaculture farmers and fishers.
Enhancement of fisheries/aquaculture contribution to livelihoods, especially those of the wetland dependant rural poor through increased production and productivity.
- Development of appropriate aquaculture technologies for improving production and productivity.
- Development of appropriate inland water management and resource conservation technologies for supporting wetland dependent community.
- Appropriate delivery of technical and resource services to the farmers/fishers community in western Nepal.